DRAFT: Sample Board Orientation Site
Build a strong foundation for trustee success.
Governance excellence is the lifeblood of a high-performing board of trustees. A strong orientation program is one of the best tools the board has for early and productive engagement of board members. Trustees assume fiduciary responsibility for the board’s leadership and decisions from day one, yet many are new to health care and may not have the knowledge and understanding needed to meaningfully engage in board deliberations and decisions. It is vital that each board member take their responsibilities seriously and pledge their best efforts to learn as well as lead.
BoardBriefs and Leadership Resources
Denver Health Mission and Vision
- Provide access to the highest quality health care, whether for prevention, or acute and chronic diseases, regardless of ability to pay;
- Provide life-saving emergency medicine and trauma services to Denver and the Rocky Mountain region;
- Fulfill public health functions as dictated by the Denver Charter and the needs of the citizens of Denver;
- Provide health education for patients;
- Participate in the education of the next generation of health care professionals; and
- Engage in research, which enhances our ability to meet the health care needs of Denver Health system patients
- To be the healthiest community in the United States.
Denver Health Values
Denver Health strives to change the world by transforming the health of our patients and community. Our values are:
We are better every day.
We care for everyone.
We fight for everyone.
We use resources responsibly.
We educate the next generation.
Keep your board on the leading edge with the nation’s best resources
Speaking Health Care™ was created to help hospital and health system trustees better understand the complex and often confusing language that is used in health care.
It is vital that each board member take their responsibilities seriously and pledge their best efforts to follow this code of conduct.
Customizable Governance Manual
The OrientWell™ module includes a comprehensive, customizable governance manual that will help to ensure your board has a foundation for governing success. The governance manual builds understanding and knowledge of:
- The hospital or health system, including its mission, governance and management, facilities, operations, and key issues
- Trustee roles and responsibilities
- The expectations of trustees
- Governance accountabilities
- Health care issues and trends
- Other information relevant to building high-performance governance
If your hospital or health care system has a governance manual, it can be inserted here.